Canary Islands Canary Islands
010.jpg
la palma el hierro la gomera tenerife gran canaria lanzarote fuerteventura
+ home
+ history
Islands
+ Tenerife
+ Gran Canaria
+ Fuerteventura
+ Lanzarote
+ La Palma
+ La Gomera
+ El Hierro
 
alquiler de coches lanzarote
rain forecast in the atlantic
auditoriums of the canaries
exhibition centres in the canaries
theatres in the canaries



+ home arrow Rural Tourism in La Palma arrow A ROUTE THROUGH PALMA
A ROUTE THROUGH PALMA Print E-mail
 

Tazacorte: La Villa and Puerto de Tazacorte is the smallest of the municipalities of the island of La Palma and the most recent, since it became independent from Los Llanos de Aridane in 1925. Its coast was chosen by Alonso Fernandez de Lugo to initiate the conquest of the island, the 29 of September 1492. Its good climatic conditions, since the municipality is considered to have the greatest number of hours of sun in Spain, as well as abundant waters coming from La Caldera de Taburiente, has allowed that throughout history its earth became very successful from the agricultural point of view.

  

Amongst the places of greatest interest of the municipality we can emphasize: the church of San Miguel Arcángel; the old large houses in the district of El Charco; The museum of the Banana; its beaches and its numerous volcanic tubes, specially La Cueva del Perdido (Cave of the Lost).

  

Santa Cruz of La Palma: It is the capital of the island and based in the old corner of Tedote. With more than 17,000 inhabitants, it occupies a surface of 45km2. Beautiful city of marine tradition conserves many testimonies of distinguished past.  The entire city can be considered as an artistic historical monument. The Plaza de España flanked by the church of El Salvador, the town hall and other remarkable buildings.

  

San Andrés and Sauces: Between Barlovento and Puntallana with the precipices (Barranco) of La Herradura and La Galga as limits, the municipal term of San Andrés and Sauces is located. With a surface of 44 km2 and a population of 5,400 inhabitants, it is a prosperous municipality, main agricultural and commercial centre of the north-western region of the island. It has very fertile land and an abundance of water, which comes from Marco and Cordero. The ñame, a plant with big leaves, whose fruit is a sweet potato very appreciated for consumption, is the characteristic product of the zone.

Puntallana: On the way towards the North of the island from Santa Cruz a Palma, we find the municipality of Puntallana. Its 35 km2 which extends from the crest that surrounds the Caldera de Taburiente until the sea, populated with around 2,200 inhabitants. The centre, San Juan de Puntallana, has 420m of altitude, along with the flat argillaceous lands of Tanagua, make it an ideal ground for the culture of cereal, fruit and breeding of cattle. As interest places we emphasize its multiple religious buildings, the beach of Nogales (Walnuts), the viewpoint of San Bartolome, Cardonal de Martin Luis, el Cubo de La Galga and la casa Luján.  

Barlovento: This municipality, with an extension of 44 km2, is located in the north of the island, between Garafía and San Andrés and Sauces. The centre is located at 550m of altitude. The registered population is of 2,486 inhabitants. It is traditionally an agriculturist zone, the culture of the papa (Potatoes) was its habitual product until the location and operation of underground sources transformed, since 60 years ago, into zones of irrigated land and dedicating a great part of its coastal strip to the banana culture.

  

Villa de Garafía: In the northern slope, between Barlovento and Puntagorda, is located this extensive municipality that has 100km2 , the second in surface in the island. The steep relief, staggered in deep precipices and defiles, the steep cliffs, drilled by the wild North Sea, forms an exceptional landscape. These orographic conditions have constituted an obstacle for the ground communication lines, originating a relative isolation and the emigration of many people. The present population does not reach the 2,000 inhabitants. Cattle and agriculture are its main wealth.

  

El Paso: It is located in the heights of the Valley of Aridane, located in the center of the island at about 650 ms altitude. Its 85 km2 of forest, plus the surface occupied by the Caldera de Taburiente, and its almost 8km2 of cultivated ground makes of the this most extensive municipality of the island. Its population surpasses the 7,000 inhabitants who distribute themselves in 135 km2.

  

Tijarafe: In the northwest slope of the island, between Los Llanos de Aridane and Puntagorda, with the precipices of Las Angustias Garome as frontier lies the municipality of Tijarafe. The surface is of 52 km2 and the population, of 2,200 inhabitants. The centre is located at 640 ms of altitude. Like in other municipalities of the island, the main activity of its people is agriculture. The laboriously extracted water from wells and galleries, has fruitfully transformed its land; avocados, fruit trees, almonds and bananas are their main products. La Punta, in the coast, is the most important agricultural areas with suitable lands for banana plantations. We will emphasize as zones of interest the viewpoint of Time, the Church of Our Lady of La Candelaria, viewpoint of Hoya Grande and Cuevita Bonita.

  

Breña Alta: With a surface of 31.5 km2 and a population of 5,816 inhabitants, this municipality shares with the one of Breña Baja the extensive and fertile valley Las Breñas. Its town centre, San Pedro, is at 300 ms from the sea level. In addition to the banana plantations, the avocado and the cereals, like wheat and barley, are part of its agricultural production. The tobacco is one of the productions of the zone although in smaller production compared to previous times.

  

In its summits we can find the famous chestnut tree and laurel forests that cover precipices and hills. Some of the places of interest include: Viewpoint of La Concepcion, Pared Vieja, Palmerales, religious buildings like the Church of San Pedro and the Hermitage of La Concepcion, the monastery of Císter and its small artisan industry.

  

Breña Baja: Municipality that has a extension of 15 km2, one of smallest in the island, and a population of about 3,750 inhabitants, located in one narrow strip between Villa de Mazo and Breña Alta. It occupies a surface that goes from the summit, with wooded vegetation, to the sea, with calm volcanic coves. Located in the old corner of Tedote, it constituted only a municipality with Breña Alta until year 1.634. San Jose is the head of municipality, with 300 ms altitude. A colourful town with many dragon and palm trees.

  

The zone of the Zumacal, in the highway that links both Breñas is an example of landscaping beauty. There is also El Socorro, with exemplary samples of Dragon trees and a hermitage built in the XVI century. Its inhabitants are mostly dedicated to the agriculture and have small industries due to its close location to the capital.

  

Puntagorda: From Tijarafe towards the north of the island, between the Precipices of Garome in the south and the one of Izcagua in the north, is situated the municipality of Puntagorda. It occupies a surface of 31km2 and has a population of around 1,800 inhabitants. The centre, between pine groves and almonds tree, is located at 600 ms of altitude. It is a colourful town with beautiful pine groves that occupies vast extensions of land. Its climate is dry and sunny, with much rain in winter. 

  

Villa de Mazo: It is in the Eastern slope of the island, with a surface of 71 km2. In the north it limits with Breña Baja and in the south with Fuencaliente. Its oblation is of about 4,500 inhabitants, who distribute themselves between small, but numerous districts of its territory. The centre is 500 ms of altitude. The most interesting aspect of this region is the great amount of existing volcanic cones, many already covered by the vegetation, testimony of its origin and that design a surface of singular enchantment.

  

Fuencaliente of La Palma: Fuencaliente is the island’s municipality that registers the greatest number of volcanic eruptions on the island. Those which stand out are the eruptions of the volcano of Martin, in 1646, the one of San Antonio, in 1677, the one of El Charco, in the 1712 and most recent the one of Teneguía, the 26 of October of 1971. Many of the volcanic cones stay in perfect state and some, like El Bucaro, conserve lava flows of great beauty. The singularity of its landscape, witness of the effects of successive and recent volcanic eruptions and a difficult geographic situation, make of Fuencaliente one of the most colourful towns of La Palma, visited every year by thousands of tourists.

   

Los Llanos de Aridane: It is one of the most important banana zones of the Canary Archipelago. Before the conquest it was called Cantón de Aridane governed by king Mayantigo. It has a surface of 36km2 and more than 18,000 inhabitants. Los Llanos is born in the shade of rich dominion, the one of El Llano Argual, that with time became a prosperous municipality. This historical evolution has changed its appearance, with big avenues and a modern urban layout. There still remain, fortunately, alleys, squares and corners that give the enchantment and the serenity of the past.

 

 

 
Next >




17 October 2018




...::| © LowEscape  |::...